This priest was exiled to Siberia for distributing forbidden literature, where he became a shepherd of the largest parish in the world. When he was allowed to return to his Homeland after amnesty, the priest remained a priest of exiles of his own volition, and in 1855 he was appointed a permanent cleric of Irkutsk and a military chaplain of Siberian troops. When priest K. Švirmickas celebrated his 50th anniversary of the priesthood in 1887, he received a special gift from Siberian priests – a cup crowned with thorns. Pope Leon XIII sent him a gold cup. In a letter sent together, he called it "the pride of Catholic missionaries, the decoration of the marion and the joy of the Pope's heart." On October 30, 2014, a chapel-monument to the book-spreader was created by sculptor Algimantas Sakalauskas and unveiled in Varnupiai village near Daukšiai. The monument arose in the place where the Švirmickai homestead-manor once stood.
Vincas Šlekys-Stagaras was a Lithuanian book-spreader, journalist, editor and ethno-artist. He was born into a family of a wealthy farmer. His father taught him to read and write Lithuanian. In 1879–1882, he attended a Russian elementary school in Marijampolė. He continued to study at Marijampolė Gymnasium, participated in a secret Lithuanian circle and distributed the prohibited press. The parents' offer to join the Seminary of Seinai priests was refused. In 1894, he started collaborating in the newspapers “Vienybė lietuvninkų ", “Varpas", “Ūkininkas", etc. In 1894, he set up a secret society "Sietynas" to distribute Lithuanian press. He prepared the articles of the association, and since 26 March 1894 he was its chairman. After retiring, he returned to his native Mokolai village, collected old valuables, and organized an exhibition of kapsai folk art in Kaunas. This became the basis for the establishment of Marijampolė Museum of Regional Studies. V. Šlekys was considered its founder. On November 16, 1945, the Soviet occupiers arrested him and exiled him to Siberia.
Jonas Pranas Aleksa (1879–1955) was a Lithuanian state and public figure, agronomist, sociologist and economist. In 1942, he presented a memorandum to the German Commissioner-General in Kaunas with K. Grinius and M. Krupavičius protesting against the colonization of Lithuania and the killing of Lithuanian citizens (Lithuanians, Jews, Russians, Poles). In 1948, he was deported to Siberia, where he died. The remains were brought back to Lithuania in 1990 and buried in Palanga. Julius Aleksa (1855–1891) – Lithuanian publicist, doctor, belligerant. In 1890–1891 he wrote for the newspapers “Varpas" and “Vienybė lietuvninkų ". He was imprisoned in Warsaw in 1891. He collected Lithuanian folk songs and their melodies, formed a Lithuanian-Latin botanical dictionary, the manuscript of which disappeared. Konradas Juozas Aleksa (1881–1956) was a Lithuanian veterinarian, agricultural scientist, archeobiologist and cultural figure. One of the creators of the Veterinary Academy and the founders of the Lithuanian Veterinary Doctors' Union, its chairman for several years. Due to genetics, private ownership, recognition of the works of Western scientists, he was criticized and persecuted by the Soviet authorities. The first in Lithuania he studied the ruins of horses dug in cemeteries: determined their age, gender, height. Konstantinas Aleksa (1863-1935) was a teacher and public figure. With others he established Lithuanian schools in Suvałkai region. He cooperated in the Lithuanian press.
Jonas Kriščiūnas was a Lithuanian agronomist, beekeeper, political and public figure. He was born in Stebuliškiai village, studied at Liudvinavo Elementary School, graduated from Marijampole Gymnasium in 1907. In 1919, he organized an agricultural school in Kvietiškis. J. Kriščiūnas, a pioneer of sugar beet growing and Lithuanian agronomic literature, published about 1000 articles on agricultural issues. In the booklet "Plant Diseases", the first in Lithuania he described insect pests and called them in Lithuanian terms. He promoted plant protection, beekeeping and seed production.
Pijus Bielskus was a Roman Catholic priest, doctor of philosophy, professor, head of the Office of the President of Lithuania. On May 17, 1903, he was ordained a priest in Warsaw. On June 16, 1919, as one of the representatives of Lithuanian Americans, he went to the Peace Conference in Paris. The delegation was tasked with strictly demanding recognition of Lithuania's independence by not being allowed into any other combinations until the issue of Lithuania's independence was properly tied up. On March 1, 1920, he was appointed adviser of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, participated in issues with the Vatican, participated as secretary and treasurer of the Lithuanian delegation in Riga to establish the Lithuanian-Latvian border. In 1940, P. Bielskus went to his brother the book-spreader V. Bielskus and hid the original Act of Independence of Lithuania in his house, the further fate of which is unknown.
Juozas Adomaitis graduated from Igliškėliai Elementary School, at the age of sixteen he joined the spring organization Igliauka Staples, and later the Igliauka Small Arms Squad. He was elected president in 1926. Love for stones was born by collecting them, splitting, bricking the foundations. It was a symbol of eternity, strength, permanence. Stones accompanied him all his life. Before the Second World War, the workers-stoners who built the road through Pamargius introduced J. Adamaitis to the peculiarities of the stones. After the death of his son in 1959 out of great sorrow, J. Adomaitis tried to blame the stone. Until 1982, when the sculptor J. Narušis visited him, J. Adomaitis worked unnoticed by anyone, as if he were talking to a stone on his own. He grew and formed under the influence of a natural environment, led by an individual creative need. J. Narušis donated a sculptor's chisels and hammers to process stones and turned the master's work in a new direction – more attention began to be paid to sculptural stone processing. In 1983, his works were first shown to a wider public – exhibited in Marijampolė cinema "Pergalė" hall. In 1985, his works were presented at a republican exhibition and awarded the First Degree Prize of the Ministry of Culture.
Juozas Zdebskis was a priest, one of the most famous post-war dissidents of the 20th century and a fighter for the rights of believers. He was ordained a priest in 1952. In 1964, he was imprisoned in Lukiškės for 1 year. In 1969, at the initiative of the authorities, the priest's certificate was temporarily withdrawn. In 1978 he founded the TTGKK. He was persecuted by the KGB and suffered chemical burns in 1980. He is believed to have died in a car accident as a victim of the KGB. He is buried in the churchyard of Rudamina Church. In 1999, a chapel was built in the village of Naujiena in memory of priest J. Zdedskis.
Juozapas Montvila was a priest and press officer who performed his soulful duty on the sinking ship Titanic until his death. He studied at Marijampole Gymnasium, Seinai Seminary of Priests. In 1908 he was ordained a priest and appointed to the parish of Augustavas Dean Lipsk. For secret spiritual service to units, the Tsarist authorities punished him: he was deprived to hold any position in pastoral. He edited the magazine "Šaltinis" published in Seinai, wrote sermons to the publication "Vadovas" for priests, and painted illustrations for some newspapers and books in Vilnius. Unable to perform the duties of a priest in Lithuania, he went to England. He was believed to have travelled to the US to work in the Atolas parish. The Titanic sailed across the Atlantic, which sank when it collided with an iceberg. On a sinking ship, he gave way to others, listened to confessions, comforted and reassured passengers until his death. In 2012, a monumental stone was unveiled at the site of Montvilai homestead in Nendriniškis.
To the northwest of Igliauka there is a farmstead surrounded by trees, where the buildings of the beginning of the last century stand. The farmstead has a large pond surrounded by a row of beautifully lined larch, and in the north there is an old beautiful garden. This is the birthplace of the writer Anzelmas Matutis-Matulevicius. Anzelmas Matutis was a teacher, writer, creator of children's literature, winner of many prizes. The talent of the poet A. Matutis was revealed early on – at the age of just 15 he created the first poem for children. The poet devoted all his talents to children's literature. Throughout his life, Matutis visited his homeland, interacted with the people of Igliauka, and often attended Igliauka High School. Many of the poet's works have been translated into the languages of foreign countries. The writer's books are published in a million copies. In 1984, the team "Margaspalvio genio kalve" was awarded the international H. K. Andersen diploma (by adding A. Matutis to the honorary book of prized writers). On May 20, 1989, Igliauka Secondary School was given the name of A. Matutis. Since October 29, 1988, one of the streets of Igliauka town has been named after him. In autumn 1997, a park was established near the farmstead. On May 19-29, 1999, the International Wood carving symposium "Igliauka 99" took place. The 19 sculptures created during the symposium show the way to the poet's birthplace and adorn the farmstead itself and the park planted by the countrymen. Homestead-museum supervisor — Algimantas Lanauskas. It can be visited by prior arrangement.
Information will be available soon.