Vytenis General Support Logistics Battalion is one of the historical – cultural sites in Marijampolė with a fresco hall, battalion museum and a lingering horse manige building.
FRESCO HALL. Frescoes are painted in the barracks of Marijampolė military town, founded under the rule of the Russian Tsar Alexander II (1936-1939). The following frescoes are depicting: the yotvingiai soldier, the unnamed Grand Duke of Lithuania, Dr. Jonas Basanavičius, Duke Kęstutis in Trakai, the death of officer Juozapavičius on the Alytus Bridge and the funeral of the Grand Duke Gediminas, which were painted by ordinary soldiers who were allowed to paint in leisure facilities. Frescoes were discovered during the renovation of the barracks in 2000. In Užnemunė, this is the only surviving wall painting.
BATTALION MUSEUM. The history of the museum has been calculated since 1998, when the Vytenis Battalion Museum was established when enthusiasts appeared. The material for expositions in the battalion museum was collected gradually. Most of the exhibits were donated by people, others were found by deminers, but the military themselves searched for military merchandise to replenish the museum foundation. The main distinguishing sign of the battalion is a nine-legged star, symbolizing the 9th Infantry Regiment, in the middle of the V letter, the initials of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytenis. The battalion’s battle flag is very similar to the old flag belonging to the 9th Infantry Regiment in the interwar war, which, in addition to the star, also includes the inscription “Lithuanian will lay their heads for Vilnius forever”. The museum is full of various printed materials: maps, writings, orders. Some of the more important writings on display in the museum are the ministerial orders ordering the battalion to take over the name and traditions of a former unit in the area. The passports, documents, various testimonies and books of the military personnel who served in the 9th Regiment are also on display. The Battalion Museum has an original bust of Duke Vytenis, which was preserved during the war and the hanger is another very interesting exhibit. The green bike also attracts the eye. It is a Swedish-made tool that our soldiers drove before the war. The same bicycles can be seen in the photographs in the museum. There are as many as two stands of exhibits of international operations. They are full of coins, clothing details, documents from Afghanistan, Kosovo and Pakistan. Coins, ammo, armaments and ammunition are also exhibited in the museum. The museum is intended to introduce the military history of Marijampole region.
Vytenis Battalion Park before World War II was one of the most beautiful and most visited places in Marijampolė. The central axis of the park was a beautiful swimming pool with an island where a monument created by the famous diaspora artist Gabriel Stanulis stood (built in 1936). Unfortunately, in Soviet times, the monument was destroyed and the park was abandoned. One of the last implemented projects is the restoration of the monument of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytenis in the territory of the battalion. With donations given by the town, the monument was rebuilt on March 1, 2009.